Thursday, March 17, 2011

To Kill a Mockingbird Finale

Well, we finally finished the movie! The end of the movie was just as excellent as the rest. Though like before, they left out many parts from the book, they still effectively got the message and main ideas across. I thought that the scene of Jem and Scout walking home was fairly accurate. The music was DEAD accurate. It set the tone and mood of the scene. It also captured the sudden change and increase in tension. Even though the fight scene wasn't all that realistic, it still conveyed the fear and confusion of the moment. The way that the scene was shot also contributed much to the quality of the scene. The attacker's face is never shown so we don't actually find out it's Mr. Ewell until later, just like in the book. Since the camera stays on Scout and not the fighting men, the fear in her eyes and not knowing exactly what is happening draws the viewer in, in my opinion. In other words, a very good devise to create more interest and viewer involvement. The scenes later on at the Finches house were perfect, I thought. The pure love that Atticus has for his children was clearly expressed. Boo/Arthur was also portrayed perfectly. He had the friendly but innocent thing about him. He also looked completely oblivious when Atticus and Heck Tate are talking about the coverup. I thought that both the music, dialogue, and camera use all contributed to the ending being both sweet and happy, but also sad as she thinks about growing up and Tom Robinson. Overall, the movie was a terrific adaptation of the novel. They left out many details, some small and others fairly large, but they left in just the right amount. The movie focused on Tom Robinson and the court case and overlooked some other things. I would have liked to have more about Boo Radley in there, but they got just enough for the tone, mood, and message of the movie to match that of the novel.

-Lina >.<

1 comment:

  1. I think you're right- too often movie show too much of what's happening, when hinting at it can be far, far more powerful. I always think of Hitchcock's Psycho as the epitome of this.

    ReplyDelete