Friday, March 25, 2011

Little Brother - Overview

Well... I finished reading Little Brother last night XD and it was AMAZING (at least in my half-asleep mind). I really like how it's completely from the view of Marcus. From his view, it's like I'm actually there and experiencing it, rather than just reading about it. The blunt and conversation-like way in which the book is written makes it sound like I'm inside Marcus's brain; seeing, hearing, feeling, everything that he does.

Even though the book is set in the near future, everything in the book could very well happen! All the technology mentioned in the book is possible to replicate in today's world (according to Mr. Calvin...) and so what these kids do is truly possible. All those little tracking devices, gait-recognition cameras, encryption codes, secret internet, and other tech-y things that I really don't understand; all possible! The tech-y language used to explain all the computer and computer networking done in the book was way beyond me. I understand why it was there, to explain what Marcus does. Also, it's what goes through his head, so it makes sense that it's there. I do understand all this, but I still did not think that having all that computer talk there was a good idea. It made me lose interest for a short while and it confused me greatly too. For those who can actually understand it, these parts might have enhanced the book, but for the technologically illiterate like me, it detracted from it.

What's more, those crazy security measures and a terrorist attack are entirely possible too. In today's world, every time there is an attempted or even a suspected terrorist attack, security measures tighten. Recent controversy over the new full body scanners introduced as part of the airport security check is just like the controversy over what the government does to "find" terrorists in Little Brother. If there was a huge terrorist attack like the one in the book, it is plausible that the government would start surveilling citizens as closely as in the novel. It's a scary thought, but everything in this book could actually happen!! The way that the teenagers react to the tightening security is also very realistic. People do not like to have their privacy taken away and are sure to rebel if they are pushed a little bit too far. The government has to be careful or something like what happens in Little Brother could actually happen to it.

-Lina >.<

4 comments:

  1. I agree. (on a few things) First off- Little Brother is AMAZING! and yes there are some tech-y language that doesn't make complete sense, though I searched some of it and it does exist.
    Great example with the airport full body scanners! I didn't think of it. Great Job Lina! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi lina.... :P
    Anyway I agree about everything you said about Little Brother. The technological talk did have me lost and made me bored. I like that you said that these things could happen and it really makes you think "Is our government going to be that controlling?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so you've decided to start talking to me again? But thanks to both of you. It's scary to think that our government might become that controlling, but it has the capacity to do so and the potential is there.

    ReplyDelete