Thursday, March 31, 2011

Little Brother - Angela

Well... Angela, or Ange, replaces Van as the leading female character. She is introduced to Marcus, and the book, at their meeting to make a secret network. My first impression of her is someone who isn't afraid to make a statement. First, she doen't take a beer but instead produces a flask of vodka. Also, that flask also has a degin on it that seems bold to me. What's even more, is that she offers some vodka to Marcus. I'm not sure why, but that makes her come across as outgoing and unashamed of anything. Her taste in food is especially indicative of this. She carries around a spray canister of what is basically slightly diluted pepper spray to put on her food. If that isn't bold taste, I don't know what is! Later, she goes into a tirade about not being able to trust grown-ups in front of everyone at that meeting. The language that she uses and the way that she speaks continues to show that she is not afraid to speak her mind. This is especially true in her ralationship with Marcus. She is the one to talk to him first and come onto him. She is the one who asks him out first. She is the agressive one. She is the one who always takes charge and makes her opinions heard. She is the one who always gets things her way.

I don't think that Ange is a good influence on Marcus. She is the one after all who takes him to that concert where all hell breaks loose. She also seems to work against Jolu. Where Jolu keeps Marcus grounded and in reality, Ange seems to throw Marcus' head up into the clouds. She fills his head with ideas and no concrete ways to execute them. Ange is also an impulsive person. She does what she wants, when she wants, without thinking it completely through. I think that she is causing Marcus to become more impulsive as well. This is not something that is good for a leader. Leaders should think everything through, make sure that it's the best decision. I feel like in order to keep up with Ange, Marcus makes some brash decisions, which is not good for him as a leader.

Through Marcus' interactions with Van, we learn that she and Ange do not get along. In fact, they seem to be rivals of some sort. Marcus figures out that that was why he had never met her before. Because Van "likes" Marcus, she is of course jealous of Ange and their rivalry deepens. I do think that Ange and Marcus make a decent couple though. They seem to be of a good physical size in comparison to each other. Also, the ways that they think are also complimentary. They work well together and function pretty well as a couple. Though she isn't that bad, Ange seems like the jealous type. When she find out about Marcus and Van being good friends her first questions is whether or not they had every dated. Though not painfully obvious, this shows that Ange is at least a bit jealous.

Overall, I did not like Ange. I think it's nice that Marcus gets a girlfriend to bridge the gap left by his friend, but she is just not good for it. While Jolu keeps Marcus focused on reality, Ange takes his mind away from it. She is too agressive and brash in her decisions. Leaders should think their decisions all the way through. I think of Ange as a way to fill the void left in Marcus' heart when his friends leave him. Even though they make a good couple, I don't thinks she is a good influence on Marcus.

-Lina >.<

2 comments:

  1. Angela isn't a very good character to be around especially in this situation. She isn't very trustful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe not intended by the author but... dANGErous...

    ReplyDelete